EPX members know the U.S. builder market. They understand the challenges builders face. And they have the expertise, knowledge, and experience required to address builders’ needs when it comes to building energy efficient homes. EPX members are able to claim an industry leadership role that no other organization can. Several members are fully accredited training providers of the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET), and have participated in the development of national energy efficiency code standards – lending credibility and substance to EPX’s assertion that, as an organization, it not just meets but exceeds industry standards.
Brief descriptions of each EPX member are below, along with a listing of awards they have received and committees in which they actively participate.
Bluegill Energy, Inc.
Located in Houston, Texas, Bluegill Energy, Inc.'s certified professionals provide independent third-party consultation, inspection, commissioning, performance testing and verification services to meet your residential and multi-family energy code and eco-friendly green building needs.
With more than 15 years of experience, Bluegill Energy alleviates worry and concern by making sure contractors comply with all of the requirements of residential or commercial energy codes or various green building programs. They also provide exceptional customer service in a timely manner for all of their clients, big or small.
Building Knowledge Canada
Our mission at Building Knowledge Canada is to improve the performance, quality, comfort, durability, and energy efficiency of homes across Canada. Working with the industry since 1986, Building Knowledge Canada serves home builders across Canada and in locations throughout the United States. Growing from a solid background in building science, energy efficiency consulting, and HVAC product support, Building Knowledge Canada has expanded its services to include:
- Canadian residential energy design and certification services, Building code compliance modeling and verification services
- Canadian Building program compliance: ENERGY STAR®, LEED, HERS, EnerGuide
- Net Zero / Net Zero Ready residential design and evaluations
- Utility program incentive compliance
- Construction risk analysis, enclosure performance and durability.
- Residential and large building air tightness testing
- Training – marketing and selling high performance homes, building codes, performance rating systems, building science.
- Residential quality assurance program, continuous improvement, performance diagnostics, scope of work development.
An early proponent of energy efficient technologies, certifications, and standards, Building Knowledge Canada built on its expertise in the R-2000 energy efficient homes program helping builders and industry partners to easily achieve the high performance standard set by the Canadian programs. Today, as one of Canada’s largest Evaluators of ENERGY STAR® for New Homes and LEED for New Homes™, Building Knowledge Canada has helped builder clients achieve their desired building performance goals.
The Building Knowledge Canada team includes building science professionals, engineers, and building performance experts. Our technicians have exceptional hands-on skill in identifying—and solving—problems in modern homes related to energy efficiency, heating/cooling, ventilation, and moisture control. Using state-of-the-art diagnostic tools, we can accurately measure airflows, pressures, temperature, and humidity. Then through experienced analysis, we uncover the root of problems and recommend cost-effective, reliable solutions.
Energy Diagnostics, Inc. has been a leading expert in the energy industry for nearly 30 years. Founded when energy usage and conservation awareness was just beginning to emerge, Energy Diagnostics, Inc. has been an influential entity that has helped shape this now rapidly growing market of energy ratings, both commercial and residential. Over these past years, we have built and maintained a reputation that reflects our commitment to accuracy, efficiency, and accountability for the work we put forth. The services that Energy Diagnostics, Inc. provide continue to be highly sought after, and our expertise in this field is unrivaled.
Energy Diagnostics, Inc. is one of the top 10 companies nationwide to provide NGBS Green and EPA Energy Star Certifications. We have completed over 50,000 Energy Star and HERS certifications to date. Our company worked to design and provide the first NGBS Green certification for a development, located in Burns Harbor, IN. Energy Diagnostics, Inc. has been commissioned to do IECC code trainings in Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana, for builders, code officials, and other contractors. We have joined forces with the HBA of Chicago, as well as Indiana’s IBA, as their premier code trainers. Energy Diagnostics Inc. has a client base as dynamic as we are; we service the largest national home builders, down to the smallest local contractor, and everyone in between. We work with utility companies, architects, developers, state agencies, local municipalities, and HVAC contractors.
We provide services nationwide, but focus our attention to the Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois regions. The principles of the company are Jerry and Karen Thatcher.
Our exceptional staff of 32 has the experience and credentials to facilitate a multitude of services, including:
- IECC Code Compliance
- EPA Energy Star Certification
- NGBS Green Certification
- IECC Code Training
- Retrofit Audits, ASHRAE Audits
- LEED-H Certification
- RESENT HERS Ratings
- HVAC Design Engineering
- IHCDA Utility Allowances
- State Commissioned QAP & VOA Multi-Family Verifications
- Energy Star HVAC Contractor Training
- ICC Energy Code Plan Reviewer/Inspector
- BPI Multi Family Building Annalist
- Whole Building Energy Modeling
- Water Senses WRI certified
- NGBS Master Verifier
- Enterprise Green Technical Advisor
- RESNET certified Training Provider and training facility
- RESNET QAD certified
- 2015 NGBS Green Partner of Excellence – Chris Schwarkopf
- ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award 2016
- Common Wealth Edison – Nicor Gas Utility companies Rater of the Year for New Construction programs June 2 2014
- NGBS ( National Green Building Standard ) Green Partner of Excellence
- Home Innovation award. 2013
- IBA ( Indiana Builders Association ) Presidential Award 2013
- NAHB Green Partner of the Year 2012
- EPA Energy Star Partner of the Year Award 2011
- EPA Certified Homes Market Leader Award 2002 - 2018
- RESNET –Market Transformation Award 2008
- RESNET Partner of the Year – Multiple years
- Great Place to Work Certified – Multiple years
EnergyLogic, Inc. is a building consulting company that provides expert resources, education and support to new home builders and energy raters involved in the construction of high-performance homes. The company also serves as a resource to other organizations that are influential in creating energy efficient housing across America, including industry associations, construction and building professionals, utility companies, government code officials, state energy offices and real estate professionals.
All of EnergyLogic’s products and services serve to advance and apply “building science” – the science of understanding how physical phenomena affect the home, and how its performance can be optimized – in new home construction. EnergyLogic’s interconnected offerings include a stringent home energy rating system designed to mitigate builder risk; HERS (Home Energy Rating System) rater services and oversight; DASH, an enterprise software system to help raters organize and centralize their business and field operations; and EnergyLogic Academy, a training program offering classroom/field training and e-learning for industry newcomers and professionals alike.
Connected with the latest industry research, science laboratories and technological advances in the building science arena, EnergyLogic is an industry-wide resource known for its expertise in applied building science. EnergyLogic marries these innovations with its own field-tested knowledge to pilot and curate experiences and tools that it shares with home builders and energy raters.
- Top Workplace 2018 - The Denver Post
- Mercury 100 Fastest Growing Private Companies in Northern Colorado - 2018
- EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence 2018
- EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence 2017
- EPA ENERGY STAR Market Leader Award 2016
- EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence 2016
- EPA ENERGY STAR Certified Homes Leadership in Housing award in 2014
- EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year award for 2014
- DOE Challenge Home Verifier Award in 2014
- DOE Challenge Home Housing Innovation Grand Winner (with New Town Builders) in 2013
- EPA ENERGY STAR Certified Homes Leadership in Housing award in 2013
- EPA ENERGY STAR’s Partner of the Year Award for 2013
- EnergyLogic listed #3397 in Inc. 5000 for 2013
- EPA ENERGY STAR’s Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence 2012
- EnergyLogic listed #2626 in Inc. 5000 for 2012
- EPA ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence award for EnergyLogic in 2011
- Finalist in the 2011 Bill Daniels Ethics in Business award
- A ‘Colorado Companies to Watch’ winner in 2011
- 2010 Environmental Stewardship Award from the Larimer County Commissioners/Environmental Advisory Board
- EnergyLogic #6 in the 2010 Northern Colorado Business Report’s Mercury 100 List
- EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year in 2010
- Berthoud Area Chamber of Commerce 2010 Business of the Year
- EnergyLogic #4 in Northern Colorado Business Report’s Mercury 100 List in 2009
- EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year 2009
- EnergyLogic #8 in Northern Colorado Business Report’s Mercury 100 List 2008
- DASH (iRate) and EnergyLogic win RESNET Industry Innovation Leadership award at the 2008 RESNET Conference
- EnergyLogic #22 in Northern Colorado Business Report’s Mercury 100 List in 2007
- Steve Byers, Principal of EnergyLogic, receives Emerging Entrepreneur award in 2007
Boards & Committees:
- Energy Efficiency Business Coalition Board of Directors
- Colorado Springs Home Builders Association
- Denver Home Builders Association
- Northern Colorado Home Builders Association
- International Code Council Colorado Chapter
Green Building Consulting
Green Building Consulting (GBC) is the technical advisor for project and design teams in search of goal-oriented solutions to improving a structure’s comfort, safety, durability, indoor air quality, energy efficiency and long term cost of ownership. GBC accomplishes this through a consultative approach that allows us to partner with the client on their search for high performance building education, analysis, design and/or certification. Our clients can include the owner, developer, builder and/or design team of commercial, mixed-use, multi-family, and single
Green Building Consulting and its affiliates were founded in 2000 by Barb Yankie. A regional pioneer in the green and energy efficiency certification services field, GBC is headquartered in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio and provides solutions for its clients in more than 14 states spanning from Iowa to the East Coast and Tennessee to Michigan. Our Services include consulting, certification, design support, energy code support, energy modeling, resource efficiency cost analysis, and green incentive analysis/design/award support. Additionally, because we do not design, sell products or construct buildings, we keep our completely independent third-party status intact. This allows the client to value our offerings as genuine and of the highest integrity without the concern of future competition for service.
With over 500 certified green program projects and tens of thousands of units tested, we have the experience to handle your project.
Credentials & Certifications
- LEED for Homes Provider (Leadership in Energy &
- LEED for Homes Green Rater
- USGBC (US Green Building Council) LEED AP
(Accredited Professional) Homes
- USGBC LEED Faculty
- USGBC LEED for Homes QAD
(Quality Assurance Designee)
- RESNET Accredited Rating Provider
(Residential Energy Services Network) &
- RESNET Certified HERS Rater
(Home Energy Rating System)
- RESNET Green Rater
- RESNET QAD
- RESNET Trainer
- Passive House Consultant (CPHC)
- Passive House Rater (PHIUS+ Rater)
- Enterprise Green Communities TA
(Technical Assistance) Provider
- NGBS (National Green Building Standard)
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
ENERGY STAR Certifier
- EPA Indoor AirPlus Verifier
- EPA WaterSense Verifier
- BPI Building Analyst (Building Performance Institute)
- DOE (Department of Energy)Challenge Home Verifier
- ASNT Certified NDT Level II T/IR Thermographer
(Building Applications & Roofing)
- Ohio Licensed Real Estate Agent and NAR
- Habitat for Humanity Partner
- Registered SBE (Small Business Enterprise)
with the City of Cincinnati
- Certified WBE (Woman Owned Business Enterprise)
with the NWBOC
- EPA ENERGY STAR for Homes Leadership In
Housing Award (multiple awards since 2008)
- USGBC – Cincinnati Chapter Green Person of the
Year Award (Barb Yankie in 2014 & Paul Yankie in 2015)
- NAHB Judge for Builder of the Year & Energy Value
Housing Awards - multiple years
- USGBC OH – 2018 Community Volunteer of the Year
Boards & Committees (past & current)
- USGBC Ohio Chapter Board Member
- USGBC SW OH Regional Leadership Team Residential Green Building Committee Chairperson
- USGBC SW OH Regional Leadership Team Advocacy Chairperson
- USGBC National Chapter Liaison – Green The MLS
- USGBC National Chapter Liaison – Value Healthy &
Efficient Affordable Housing
- USGBC Member - National & Local
- RESNET National Board Member
- RESNET Infrared Scanning Standard Task Force
- RESNET Strategic Positioning Task Force
- RESNET Infrared Standard Drafting Committee
- RESNET Green Rater Certification Task Force.
- Passive House Alliance KY Board Member
- BPI (Building Performance Institute) Technical
- ACI Core Conference Committee Member
(Affordable Comfort Institute)
- National Association of Home Builders Member
- Cincinnati Home Builders Association Member
- Green Umbrella – Energy Efficiency Action
Team Member, Subcommittee Co-Chair
– Green The MLS, Subcommittee Member
– Multi-Family Building Energy Efficiency Initiative
- Efficiency First Cincinnati Chapter Board Member
- Sustainability Partnership of Cincinnati – Partner
- EnergyPro Exchange (EPX) - Member
Green Zone Home
Green Zone Home started as a one-person department in an Austin closet-office of a professional engineering company in 2001, Green Zone Home provided energy code consultation and ENERGY STAR® ratings for builders. Today, Green Zone Home has grown to become its own entity, with offices in Austin and San Antonio, and a staff of a dozen personnel. In addition to proudly serving the residents of the Austin and San Antonio areas, Green Zone Home also has affiliates who can offer some of our services in the Houston regions, as well. Since its inception, Green Zone Home has now expanded its services to include a wide array of green consultation services, programs, and plans that not only benefit builders, but also individuals and homeowners, and real estate professionals, as well.
JKP Energy Inspections, LLC
The team at JKP Energy Inspections, LLC has been providing support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR for Homes program in the Phoenix market since 1999, labeling over 58,000 homes as ENERGY STAR through 2013. JKP also provides LEED for Homes, IECC and Low Income Housing Tax Credit services for single and multifamily projects, consulting and training for home builders and homeowners on proper building techniques in accordance with building science principles, and forensic evaluations of homes to determine the sources of comfort, health, and house performance problems.
In recognition of its achievements in promoting ENERGY STAR, assisting builders to build energy efficient homes, and raising the standards of construction in the Phoenix market, JKP has received the EPA’s national “Partner of the Year” award as well as the “Spirit of Enterprise” award for business innovation from the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. JKP Energy Inspections is a member of the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET), U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), and the Home Builders Association of Central Arizona.
SK Collaborative applies proven green building techniques to real-life situations. Whether you are a developer, builder, remodeler, contractor, architect, or a homeowner, we can help you implement cost-effective techniques that will make your project better and simply and easily meet the requirements of building certification programs. Through our range of services including consulting, design reviews and charrettes, training, and building certification under LEED for Homes, EarthCraft House, ENERGY STAR, the National Green Building Standard, and Enterprise Green Communities, we help you make your projects more efficient, healthy, and durable. We have over 25,000 units of single and multifamily housing, both affordable and market rate, in process or certified under various green building programs.
Green home building and Green remodeling use building science techniques and materials to create homes that are healthy, clean, comfortable, efficient, and environmentally friendly. Green homes improve comfort and health by reducing allergies and asthma through excellent indoor air quality and eliminating mold and mildew. By controlling heat, moisture and air movement, and by using materials that are durable, healthier and sustainably produced, you are making common-sense, cost-effective, decisions that pay off for yourself and the environment for decades to come.
- GA Power EarthCents 2015 New Home Program Century Club and Lowest HERS Index (6)
- 2014 EarthCraft Renovation of the Year
- 2014 NARI Atlanta CoTY Award Historic Renovation and Green Renovation
- 2014 City of Decatur Historic Preservation Award
- Abe Kruger – 2013 Young Energy Professional of the Year
- Carl Seville – 2005 & 2007 NAHB Green Remodeling Advocate of the Year
- EarthCraft Leadership Award
- 2009 Energy Value Housing Award
- 2006 & 2008 NAHB Green Remodeling Project of the Year
Boards & Committees:
- Georgia Healthy Homes Coalition (GHHC) Steering Committee
- Lifecycle Building Center Advisory Board
- RESNET Board of Directors
- USGBC Atlanta Branch Leadership Group/Treasurer
Southern Energy Management (SEM)
Southern Energy Management is a leading sustainable energy company in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, providing high-performance building energy efficiency consulting and testing, as well as renewable energy solutions for both residential and commercial markets. As a company, SEM works to improve the way people make and use energy by providing intelligent, holistic, effective products and services that save energy, money and natural resources.
SEM’s full-time team members include LEED accredited professionals, licensed electricians and plumbers, licensed general contractors, nationally recognized building scientists, certified solar technicians, certified home energy raters and green building service providers.
SEM is one of the first B-Corporations in North Carolina and the first sustainable energy company to certify itself as a B-Corporation. As a B-Corporation, SEM is verified by a third party to be a triple bottom line company. The triple bottom line approach is a sustainable business philosophy that takes into account people and planet alongside profit. Certified B-Corporations meet rigorous, independent standards and are evaluated on both social and environmental performance.
- 2012 National EPA ENERGY STAR Sustained Partner in Excellence
- 2011 NAHB Research Center Green Partner award
- 2011 Raleigh Environmental Stewardship award
- 2010 National Green Jobs award
- 2010 SEM becomes a CARBON NEUTRAL company
- 2009 City of Raleigh Environmental Market Transformation award
- 2008 Triple Bottom Line Award finalist by Sustainable North Carolina
- 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 EPA National ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year award
- 2006 NC Sustainable Energy Business of the Year
- 2005, 2006 National ENERGY STAR Outstanding Achievement award
Boards & Committees:
- Amicus Board
- Exploris School Board
- Green Builder Coalition Board
- North Carolina Sustainable Energy Association Board
- North Carolina League of Conservation Board
- North Carolina State University Solar Instruction
Sustainable Energy Analytics (SEA)
Sustainable Energy Analytics is a construction services firm centered on energy conservation. As a full service, highly-responsive, service-oriented residential energy consulting company we help builders, developers, architects, homeowners, contractors and subcontractors achieve superior results. Our team members have varied backgrounds (engineering, general contracting, homebuilding, building science, and business) but one common goal: to help you carry out your project vision. Our team approach allows us to serve you better with our collective knowledge and experience, our responsiveness, and availability for answering all your energy code and compliance concerns. We are RESNET and USGBC trained and certified and have years of experience we bring to each and every project to ensure a
SEA is an ENERGY STAR® partner, a member of the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET), U.S.
Green Building Council (USGBC), the Building Performance Institute (BPI), the Northeast HERS Alliance
(NEHERS), and the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA).
Our core offerings include:
IECC 2015 Compliance Consulting and Testing, Stretch Code Compliance, Energy Modeling (HERS Ratings, ASHRAE 90.1), Blower Door testing, HVAC Duct testing, Mechanical Ventilation
testing (ERV, HRV, bath fans), Manual J/D/S calculations, ENERGY STAR for homes, LEED for homes, LEAN Construction Optimization.